Sunday, March 18, 2012

Full Fat Mushroom Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo

I expect a welcome back from my three followers!  I'll try this blogging thing again, but you all know me and my blogging habits...

I'm going to go easy on you for this first recipe, but you won't be disappointed.

I have had a life-long love affair with Alfredo.  The Breadman, however, does not like Alfredo at all, so I have never made it.  Until he came up with a brilliant solution, that is.  Unlike me, he does not mind marinara out of a jar.  He suggested that I make Alfredo for me and Cricket, and I can just heat up some jarred marinara for him.  Sold!

I got a late start tonight so I was just going to boil store-bought fettuccine, but then I realized that I did not have fettuccine noodles on hand.  I could either run to the store or make it by hand, so I opted for the latter.  It takes a little more time and effort to make them, but it's worth it.  That's another blog post in itself, though, and I digress.

I happened to have some baby bella mushrooms in the fridge, as well as some leftover cooked chicken, so here's what I came up with:

This serves four people.   If you don't eat mass quantities like us, that is.

Mushroom Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
Fettuccine noodles
4 ounces of baby bella mushrooms
1 stick of unsalted butter
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
(I warned you in the title that this was full fat.  It is Alfredo after all.)  
1 1/2 cups of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
(NOT the sawdust in the green can!)
1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley

First, occupy your three-year old with the most fun task of the day:  The salad spinner.  You can't have pasta without salad.


Then dump some tasteless marinara into a pot and heat it up for The Breadman.

Slice the mushrooms.


Melt the butter.


 Add mushrooms and cook for a minute or two.

Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed.
Slowly add the cream to the mushrooms. 

Let it simmer, stirring often,  for five or six minutes until it starts to get thick.
Add cooked chicken and heat through.
Remove from heat and mix in Parmesan cheese.

Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over pasta and top with fresh parsley.

I was going to add a photo of the finished product, but I never claimed to be a photographer, so we will skip that this time.
The Breadman even said that this dish is something he could get used to.
He'd better get used to it; otherwise, I foresee a lot of jarred marinara in his future.
I think next time I will try to use half the butter and replace the heavy cream with half and half.  The sauce is not acidic, so there would be little risk of the half and half curdling, and my waistline will appreciate less fat.  Not to mention my arteries.
Next blog post:  homemade pasta.

1 comment: